Hi all! This recipe for today is something special to me. Now that I’m a working guy, getting breakfast is usually annoying because I have no time and I don’t usually like eating breakfast. I remember going to my local Korean bakery to get “ugly bread.” I would take these to work for breakfast.
Ugly bread is basically a type of bread made of dried fruits and nuts. Although it sounds like trail mix with bread, that is not the case. This bread is much more elevated and classy, even though it looks like a five year old made it.
They are easily stored for a few days and they are easy to grab on the go. One day, my favorite bakery stopped making them because they were out of season. So then, I figured I need to learn to make it.
Ugly bread is very popular in Korean for being nutritious, easily accessible, and easily stored for periods of time. Above that, it’s extremely delicious and its a good way to use up any stale bread. In fact, you can use any bread in any state except for moldy.
Here is my recipe. I hope you enjoy it and give feedback on how it turned out for you!
– 10-12 slices of bread
(I like apple cinnamon or raisin bread)
– 1/2 cup sliced almonds
– 1/2 cup raisins
– 1/2 cup dried blueberries
– 1 egg
– 3 tbsp butter or coconut oil
– 3 tbsp honey
1. Slice the bread into cubes
2. Add the dried fruits and nuts into a bowl with the cubed bread chunks. You can honestly put in any dried fruit or nuts you want, but don’t overdo it otherwise you won’t be able to form the bread balls we need to make
3. Melt the butter or coconut oil
4. When butter or oil is in liquid form and cooled, add in honey and one egg and stir with fork or whisk. If you used a non sweet bread, please add 3-4 tbsp more of honey.
5. Add liquid to bread mixture and mix well by hand. Eventually, the bread will get coated and it will be easy to squeeze chunks into little balls.
6. Get a muffin pan and put in muffin tins. You can actually cook these as balls on a pan, but muffin tins seem to just work for me. And I can make individual servings in a muffin paper cup.
7. Shape the mixture into balls and squeeze to help form the shape
8. Bake at 350F for about 30-35 minutes until firm and solid.
These breads are really amazing in flavor and so simple to make. There are fancier recipes out there, but I prefer this one since it uses leftover bread and it takes the least amount of time. Once you make this for the first time, it will definitely be a recipe worth remembering. Remember to cook from the heart, and your food will always be delicious.